I identified many changes that make a great leader which mirrored my thoughts, but you must perceive yourself there first otherwise you will not be there or get there in the reality of your mind. Perception is everything in the way you perceive yourself and others, if you cannot first of all be secure in yourself - you will use others to build and shield your insecurities. Whether that's insecurities in your abilities or in the ways you deal with matters that are not within your capacity, it could be matters that you are faced with or shortcomings.
* I will be using business and company interchangeably within this post so please do not be confused that I may be talking on separate matters.
" These are the four stages of creative solution note it and thank Poincaré later - preparation, incubation, illumination and execution. "
Following on from this, is the progression that comes with a career, promotions in a job role or new height in your business. Each step up requires a step up in your willingness to learn more and implement changes in attitudes, work ethic, uphold values, maintain and increase motivation also keeping track of the values and principles which served as the foundation for that business/organization. This shines a light in educating me rather than correcting me, I guess as Pebble$ I may be considered as a business/brand which becomes recognized with each new reader, connection and conversation; but I haven't reached the stage or touched the turf of owning a business yet. When I do decide to grace that turf however, there are several lessons I have learnt and will hope to apply.
1. Maintaining my stand at all times, this is holding value that others won't need to question.
2. My role as CEO is not solely contracting the work, but being involved in the work and company; know the people
you work with, know the companies you work with, where is your money going, where is energy being exerted, what
are people's motivations and who runs with your vision.
3. Be AWARE, you don't set it and forget it. Have you set up an environment that shows you care about the business,
the people involved and the running of your company. Is the company valued, are employees valued as well?
4. Understand your business' value from the perspective of those who work with you, who does your business serve and
what does it need to maintain to continually serve those who value it.
5. Build valuable working relationships & contacts.
6. Work with emotional smarts alongside brain smarts.
7. If I work with my emotion smarts present, it is easier to drive others to build & work with theirs.
8. Look beyond your vision and take the risk of doing something that wasn't in the plan this can bring longevity and
added value to your business rather than sinking its existence.
9. Teach the next generation, raise them to value, develop and maintain emotional intelligence as much as they do
10. If something happens to you tomorrow who did you teach, who did you share your expertise with to make sure that
the vision stays alive.
11. Do not do business as usual, using old tools to fix new bolts. Keep up to date with the market, trends and
developments in your lane of business.
12. Yes technology is constantly progressing and producing new tools which can aid, even enhance aspects of your
business but remember to recognize that some skills cannot be replaced by tech rather it should be used alongside
13. Be a catalyst for change, do not hinder it because of playing it safe. Adapt to the changes, the world is constantly
witnessing developments. Teach this to your kids.
14. The world isn't waiting on you. Get in where you fit and if there isn't one, make a fit for yourself in the market, in
the world of business.
15. Know your limits, where you come to a limit in your knowledge on certain things employ somebody's expertise or
advice to gain what YOU need to KNOW.
16. Why is one man doing every man's job, identify the essence of team work and the need for a team. Equip your team
so they can equip you.
" To communicate is not just a matter of pushing information at another person. It's creating an experience, to engage their gut. " - John Seely Brown
Be aware, be awake. Awareness is key in all aspects of life, work, education, career and business. Being aware of limits in an individual's ability and being aware of the state of their sense of self are two very different things. The first is a need to relate on an individual's level and raising them from there so any gaps in ability or knowledge can be resolved. There is also a need in that instance to aid the development of a person and continually review their progress and needs. The second instance deals with an individual whose self-confidence has not yet been developed and requires help in building it; this individual requires someone who will help them to identify what they wish to achieve and how to get to that place. For a person in this position it is best to remind them that they should not compare themselves with others but rather, find their own space and conquer that first. Finding your space and lane in life is one of the best moves that you can pull against uncertainty. This right here highlights the importance of a mentor and mentorship as well as the importance of communicating with your colleagues.
Another kind of awareness is that of change, if you cannot identify any problems you will not see the need for a solution. Right?! When an individual is able to identify changes in behavior and motivation then they can move from "problem identified" to "who and what does this problem affect". At this point you are open to finding the answers to identifying the consequences if changes are not made but you require others to have input where it may be of help. "Who and what does this problem affect" becomes "what chu gon do NOW?"; this person can now see the problem, what the problem affects and seek the necessary steps to solve that problem. A plan comes into form, of actions to be taken and personal shifts to make are written, made plain so cannot be taken back and negotiated.
" The real genius of organization is the informal, impromptu, often inspired ways that real people solve real problems in ways that formal processes cam't anticipate. "
When "what chu gon do NOW?" progresses to "make that 20/20 vision I see you" the changes translate from the mental and written to physically evident. Emotion smarts take their baby steps and one point at a time the plan is put into practice. Actions are taken, to a newer self who is emotionally aware, this is the start of a journey which requires continual development, consistency and commitment.
There is so much more that I could explore from this book and put into my own perspective for you all but I'll have to end it here. I could however come back in a few months and add more to this series of blog posts.. haha.
Find a way to get yourself a copy of this book!! The translation of its contents is different to each individual so what you waiting for (you might be able to find it in Google books for free).
I want to publish a book, it will be a collective of my work from the start of my journey at 8 years old til Summer 2015. Hold me to it !